Print media is everywhere – in businesses of all sizes and across all industries. Businesses in the pharmaceutical industry are like most others, with concerns for paper waste, the expense of supplies, printing devices, and of course – security.
Pharmaceutical companies have unique requirements in producing a wide variety of documents and consumer-facing materials:
- Package inserts for medications
- Labels of many shapes and sizes, containing a wide selection of information
- Prescription documents including use instructions, side effects, special cautions, etc.
- Quality – documents must be readable by all parties – distributor, physician, pharmacist, and consumer
Satisfying the requirements for printing this variety of documents and labels means employing both standard office printers as well as specialized printers for labels and forms.
Pharmaceutical Industry Printing Challenges
Pharmaceutical printing includes specialized documents that are unique it the industry:
- Labels that must be clear, accurate, and meet industry and regulatory requirements
- Quality of printed results to ensure legibility for doctors and patients
- Inaccurate or illegible documents are not only confusing or misleading – they can truly jeopardize the patient’s life
- Medical products require a variety of labeling materials including paper of different types and coatings, plastic materials, and many other types of media
- Even over the counter (OTC) products must be labeled accurately to ensure proper use and safety
- Security – legislative requirements and customer privacy mandate that personal information is safeguarded from misuse
These concerns make quality printing essential within the industry for labels, inserts, patient instructions, and other documents.
Printing in the Retail Pharmacy
Customers in a retail pharmacy are looking for efficient service and attention to their individual or family medical needs. If pharmacists and technicians are constantly engaged in printing labels and instructions, it takes their focus off the customer. Pharmacy professionals and consumers alike prefer a counseling atmosphere where the pharmacy team spends more time with customer-facing activities:
- Health coaching
- Detailed consulting on patient care and medications
- Services such as vaccinations and flu shots
Providing reliable, easy to use printing functionality in the retail pharmacy means more time spent with the customer, cementing the personal relationship, and improving overall customer service. By executing a system that manages the printing workload and reduces print-related disruptions, pharmacy employees increase their value to the patient, creating an advantage that generates loyal customers.
Retail pharmacy customers may understand it takes time to fill a prescription, but they don’t expect to be kept waiting because a printer isn’t working properly, or it needs to have a toner cartridge replaced. Printing equipment must work properly and consistently to ensure retail operations function smoothly.
Managed Print Services Advantages
Managed Print Services (MPS) offer pharmaceutical teams considerable advantages, whether in retail establishments, wholesale, or manufacturing.
What Will a Managed Print Service Provider Do?
MPS printing professionals conduct a thorough analysis of printing needs to determine:
- How much printing is being done?
- What is being printed?
- Who is doing the printing?
- What types of printers are required, and how many?
- Where are the printers located?
By performing this comprehensive review of printing requirements, managed print services providers can determine the right printing equipment needed to generate all types of documents efficiently. This may include replacing outdated equipment that is costly to operate and may need frequent service.
What Are the Advantages for the Pharmaceutical Industry?
Once the print analysis has been completed, a professional MPS will provide a comprehensive plan for adding, replacing, or removing printing devices to improve workflow and reduce printing costs in multiple ways:
- Multifunction printers with new technology can replace multiple devices, reducing operational expenses
- Save paper and supplies, reducing waste
- Implement networked printing devices, allowing flexibility for workers who can work from anywhere and print to any authorized device
- Maximize pharmacy efficiency using reliable, easy to use printers
- Generate high-quality labels and other media of all types and sizes
- Consistency of print integrity – making sure there are no missing or unclear images and letters
For retail pharmacies, there is an immediate return from implementing managed print services:
- More time for pharmacists to focus on the customer’s needs
- Boost in pharmacy productivity through more reliable, consistent printing equipment
- Improved customer experience
- Adherence to quality standards and security requirements
Getting Started with Managed Print Services
Managed print services providers help the pharmaceutical industry by implementing and managing equipment that offer complete printing solutions:
- Comprehensive analysis of printing requirements
- Provide high-quality equipment from leading manufacturers such as Toshiba, Sharp, Savin, and Copystar
- Single source for all printing needs including service and managing supplies – no more running out of ink or toner
- Improved productivity
- Reduction in cost and reduced waste
- Generate quality documents and labels
Getting started with Managed Print Services is as easy as calling the professionals at Donnellon McCarthy Enterprises (DME). DME will discuss your printing requirements and provide a solution that streamlines your operation while saving printing costs.